Ever dream of being on the inside of one of the biggest New England Cross events of the season? If so, the Providence Cyclo-cross Festival is eager to help make that happen for you! We are looking for volunteers to join us in putting together a weekend full of international level Cross’ racing. Providence draws riders from far and wide. In order to make that happen, we need YOUR help!
- Can you get yourself to Roger Williams Park in Providence, Rhode Island?
- Can you keep a smile on your face even when someone has run over your toe with their bicycle?
- Can you gleefully enjoy watching cyclists pummel themselves, suffering unimaginably?
- Can you pitch in whenever and wherever necessary to make something magical happen?
While we can’t guarantee that you’ll get placed in the position you’d most like (we’ll try very hard though), we can guarantee that you’ll have a great time being part of a complex and precise volunteer machine that will be putting on a weekend of Cross racing sure to amaze.
In exchange for your time and talents, you’ll receive:
- A limited edition, long sleeve Providence Cyclo-cross Festival t-shirt (sure to be the envy of all your friends)
- A free meal token (for those who volunteer for 6 hours or more)
- A super secret volunteer decoder ring for sending/receiving messages (OK, so this might not happen)
- The undying appreciation of hundreds of riders who rely on YOU to make it happen!
- One entry into the volunteer raffle for each 4-hour shift. (WHAT A GREAT DEAL!!!)
If you can (mostly) truthfully answer yes to the above requirements, then you are eligible to join our team! We’re looking for folks to sign up for 4, 6, or 8 hour shifts for the following positions:
- Set Up/Tear Down of Race Course: The set up is done on Thursday & Friday (Oct. 4&5). Saturday after the races are complete, the course is reworked for Sunday’s races. Breakdown is done Sunday night after racing ends.
- Registration: Assisting riders to sign in, register, sign waivers, and get numbers.
- Parking: Ensuring staff and racers are directed to appropriate areas.
- Course Cross Marshalls: There are many areas where spectators can cross through specific areas. The Marshalls ensure that the spectator can safely cross due to the constant flow of riders (this is a great way to see the race at all times and cheer on your favorites!!)
- Medical Grips: Assisting the medical team in any way needed
- Official Assistants: As the racers go around the course, they need to know how many laps remain; this position would be to help with that, ringing the final lap bell and any other needs of our Officials.
- Pit Wash Crew: If it is a rainy/muddy day, may need assistance in hosing down riders’ bikes for races.
- Race Start Staging Crew: Racers line up approximately 15 minutes before their race. This team would ensure the riders are lined up according to rankings.
- VIP Assistants: Making sure our VIPs know times of events and any fulfilling any special wants/needs they have.
- Course Repair: As racers traverse the terrain, a gate might get knocked down, or tape might be torn and this needs to be mended immediately.
- Signage Set Up: Placing signs around the venue sponsorships, parking, beer garden, etc.
Hooked yet? Contact Sean Condon, Volunteer Coordinator extraordinaire at email@example.com now!